Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The trouble with Mexican restaurants

We recently went to Los Cucos restaurant in San Marcos. San Marcos is not too far from Austin. It is a nice place with palm trees out front. We spoke to the waiter about our allergies to gluten and he was very helpful. They do not have a gluten free menu or a gluten free list. He told us that most restaurants use wheat flour in the corn tortillas. This was sad for us because it is one more thing we can't eat. I got the chicken fajita plate, my sister got a shrimp cocktail thing, and I think my mom got a beef plate. The waiter gave us corn chips instead of tortillas and made sure they didn't have wheat. I still got sick. It could have been the rice. It is very hard to explain all of the ingredients we can't have. The waiter tried his best to explain to the kitchen staff even though it seems they didn't speak English. If you don't have Celiac disease I would recommend it, otherwise I would wait until they come up with a gluten free menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment